Golf is a game fueled by people with passion, integrity and drive. The newly created USGA Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the United States Golf Association, is recruiting leaders with these same values to advance fundraising and engagement.
Reporting to the Head of the USGA Foundation, the Director, Marketing – USGA Foundation is a senior leader of the USGA Foundation with primary responsibilities that include expanding the supporter base, optimizing digital donor experience, driving revenue through a wide range of marketing channels, managing the creative process, and leading the donor engagement experience. The Director will craft and execute the Foundation’s marketing strategy and annual marketing / customer acquisition and retention plan, which includes strategically and creatively leveraging digital technologies, social media, traditional media and content to build engagement and revenue throughout the calendar year. The Director, Marketing – USGA Foundation will also be responsible for marketing effectiveness measures for the new USGA Foundation.
Leading a team of marketing and content professionals, the Director, Marketing – USGA Foundation will plan, execute, and evaluate efforts to maximize fundraising through customer acquisition, analytics-based direct marketing campaigns, and impactful communications collateral enhanced user experience.
Key measures for success include increasing membership and donor bases, deepening affinity and engagement (i.e. customer satisfaction) with current donors and supporters, and increasing customer target-specific revenue. The Director, Marketing – USGA Foundation will provide leadership across a variety of USGA Foundation drivers of success including end-user digital experience, direct marketing, content creation, project management, experiential engagement (i.e. U.S. Open) and impact storytelling.
What You Can Expect:
- Team and Project Leadership: Design and execute marketing strategy and annual marketing / customer acquisition and retention plan for the USGA Foundation including vision, revenue and expense forecasting, project management, key performance indicators and measures, and long-term strategies. Recruit, lead and inspire an expanding team of Lead-level direct reports focused on digital & direct marketing, social media, content & storytelling, user experience, and membership. Manage relationships with vendors to ensure contracted services fulfill pre-determined scopes of work on-time and within budget.
- Digital Marketing and User Experience: Design and execute results-driven, revenue-based campaigns across marketing channels: traditional marketing, digital marketing, email marketing, social media marketing, partnerships, SEO and SEM, and digital analytics. Serve as thought-partner with broader USGA Marketing, Communications and Content teams regarding marketing platforms, apps, and usga.org reimagining process to develop an informative, enjoyable and easy-to-navigate user experience throughout the USGA Foundation pages/presence on the website. Develop and build identity of the USGA Foundation, awareness, relevance and credibility among target audiences. Lead data-driven marketing strategy, including the end-state vision of how we use consumer data and insights to drive segmentation, targeting, messaging, and CRM as part of broader Association-wide CRM efforts.
- Communications and Content: Develop engaging and evocative creative (concepts, content, and designs) for the USGA Foundation that is connected to, and both reinforces and amplifies the USGA Brand Architecture, according to the USGA Brand PlayBook, as well as the Association’s Annual Content and Media Calendar. Manage the editorial processes involved in creating impact reports and donor communications. Oversee strategy for additional, incremental, and upgraded giving. Innovate and implement a social media strategy; direct design, production and distribution of all USGA Foundation content. Design and implement customer satisfaction and donor surveys for refining and improving offering, messaging, and donor communications. Measure and analyze results of marketing and communications outreach to gauge effectiveness in the spirit of driving continuous improvement. Reimagine donor stewardship communications including the current USGA Insider. Execute communications to key internal and external stakeholders, partners, and volunteer leadership.
- Engagement, Events and Experience: Develop annual event goals, strategies, themes, metrics and budgets including run-of-show programs, and video content to enhance program success including USGA Foundation events and the USGA Foundation’s role in Association events including the Annual Meeting, the U.S. Open, symposiums, and Cocktails & Conversations. Supervise staff and outside vendors around event preparation, production, and management of logistics, timelines, budgets, and metrics. Work with USGA Foundation Development team to design donor solicitation and stewardship collateral. Support the USGA Foundation nascent “Celebrity Ambassadors Council.”
What You Bring to the USGA:
- The ideal candidate MUST HAVE: 7 years of demonstrated success in nonprofit marketing and managing direct & digital marketing programs focused on customer acquisition and retention. Experience supervising teams of 2 or more professional staff. A deep passion for golf and understanding of the game.
- Plays and loves golf.
- A bachelor's degree is required, as is at least 7 years of marketing and management experience.
- Best practices “toolkit” for measuring marketing effectiveness, and turning data insights into actionable programs.
- Extensive work in a nonprofit setting is highly desired, and ideally with a sports organization. Exposure and/or deep understanding of the fundraising landscape with special attention to digital fundraising.
- Experience in e-commerce required – as well as Adobe Analytics, AEM, and other ads platforms.
- Knowledge of digital marketing principles and current nonprofit fundraising best practices a must.
- Ability to design and execute annual marketing and engagement plan with timelines, and expense and revenue projections.
- An understanding of segmentation and prospect identification strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability and experience building strong trusting relationships with internal and external partners.
- Understanding of the importance of brand identity.
- Track record of influencing others to make philanthropic giving decisions.
- Curiosity, strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to follow systems and procedures while also exhibiting creative thinking.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
- Track record of building strong cross-functional working relationships.
- Initiative and competency to take ownership of specific projects.
- Experience working with CRM tools and project management software.
Please click on the following link to apply:
Director, Marketing - USGA Foundation
About the USGA:
Are you looking to join a dynamic team that works together to promote and conserve the true spirit of the game of golf? From the USGA Handicap System to national amateur and open championships, to modernizing the delivery of the game’s Rules and supporting sustainable golf course management practices, the United States Golf Association promotes the health of a game that inspires, challenges, and rewards like nothing else can.
The USGA celebrates, serves and advances the game of golf worldwide. Founded in 1894, we conduct golf’s premier professional and amateur championships, including the U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open. With The R&A, we govern the sport via a global set of playing, equipment and amateur status rules. Our operating jurisdiction for these governance functions includes the United States, its territories and Mexico. The USGA Handicap System is utilized in more than 40 countries and our Course Rating System covers 95 percent of the world’s golf courses, enabling all golfers to play on an equitable basis. The USGA campus in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, is home to the Association’s Research and Test Center, where science and innovation are fueling a healthy and sustainable game for the future. The campus is also home to the USGA Golf Museum, where we honor the game by curating the world’s most comprehensive archive of golf artifacts. To learn more, visit usga.org.
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer