President and CEO
This is a time of transformation and promise as the Foundation approaches $100 million in assets and serves as one of the largest philanthropic institutions serving the two-county region.
The Community Foundation has a prominent and influential board of directors, and a highly talented and professional staff. It operates with solid internal controls, effective stewardship processes, and clean audits.
In recent years, the Community Foundation has enjoyed steady growth, significant financial success, high-profile partners, and extraordinary grantmaking. The organization has earned a position of prominence and respect regionally. These impressive results have created opportunities for the Foundation to make even greater contributions to the community and region it serves.
The new President and CEO will lead the Foundation to its next level, building upon strong momentum and recent results. He or she will be a dynamic, mission-driven leader capable of taking the organization to the next level of innovation and contribution by:
- Developing a thorough understanding of and commitment to the Foundation’s Strategic Plan with significant goals to be outlined for the next phase of strategic planning, 2019-2023;
- Building strong, productive relationships with external partners of all kinds, building on current relationships and participation in government and private sector programs;
- Identifying and facilitating partnerships and resource growth;
- Communicating the case for philanthropy effectively among targeted audiences;
- Providing innovative leadership and inspiration for staff and board members;
- Providing effective, collaborative management of people, change, operations and achievement.
The President and CEO, working in partnership with the Board of Directors, will shape the future of The Community Foundation through vision, values, leadership and strategy. In concert with the Board, the President and CEO will be an engaged and articulate community leader with an understanding of community philanthropy, significant, relevant leadership experience and management experience.
The Community Foundation is marked by its long and revered history, its relationships with its donors and fund holders, and a variety of external partners and the nonprofit community across two of California’s largest counties. Our region is strengthened by the enormous contributions made to these partners in stewardship activities, technical assistance and ever-growing regional grantmaking.
The President and CEO will:
- Lead, manage and elevate The Community Foundation. He or she will be an exceptional leader, comfortable working with a very strong, engaged and talented staff and board. The sought candidate will have a demonstrated track record of excellent management skills and initiative, and will provide evidence of action in addition to initiative and vision. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have a proven history of identifying and developing talent, building effective and happy teams and creating a healthy environment of shared vision and values, collaboration and high standards. The Community Foundation’s next leader will be a demonstrably outstanding trusted manager and mentor for staff, able to elevate a culture of effectiveness and impact.
- Be an effective representative and spokesperson for The Community Foundation and philanthropy, able to develop and maintain a high profile in Inland Southern California’s communities and authentically communicate the power of philanthropy and visibly represent The Community Foundation and the region in the most positive ways.
- Be an uncommonly good relationship builder. The President and CEO will be likeable, approachable, a good listener; someone people naturally trust and want to work with – a person of unimpeachable integrity. The President and CEO will effectively be able to cultivate and manage relationships with multiple constituencies including board, staff, donors, community leaders, the public sector and business community, and many others.
We seek a leader who demonstrates exceptional passion for philanthropy and an unparalleled ability to clearly articulate a vision and direction for The Community Foundation. An understanding of the nonprofit sector and philanthropy is essential, and community foundation experience is preferred. Our candidate possesses an understanding that a community foundation is about more than gathering assets, but includes convening, acting as a caring steward of assets, and embracing multiple communities served by The Community Foundation.
The person we seek thrives on cultivating, building and maintaining strong and genuine donor and stakeholder relationships. Our next President and CEO is a proven development professional, particularly adept in the areas of endowments, planned giving and working with high net worth donors. This person engenders trust and empathy, and relates to donors in a highly professional, honest and caring manner.
The ideal President and CEO candidate is a consummate leader and manager with a record of significant success in relevant contexts. Entrepreneurial, innovative and results-oriented, the President and CEO will come to The Community Foundation with an informed commitment to the Foundation’s grantmaking, development, donor services and community leadership work. In addition to community philanthropy, the President and CEO will be knowledgeable about, and comfortable in, the worlds of private philanthropy, business, government, nonprofit finance, and communications. He or she will have the degree of financial acumen necessary to lead a community foundation, and an unquestionable commitment to organizational integrity and transparency.
We seek someone who will love the unique communities of Inland Southern California, who ideally already is familiar with the region and has roots or relationships here, or who is willing to put down those roots and become an integral part of our community. Appreciation for the quality of life in the region and the challenges it faces is preferred.
Career experience at the senior level in a community foundation is preferable, although not required. An understanding of the community foundation business model is expected. The skills and experience to lead, grow and empower a strong and competent staff and work effectively in partnership with a dedicated and committed board is essential. Superb interpersonal skills are presumed, as is the ability to manage the multiple roles inherent in working in the community foundation environment.
A Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in a related field. Advanced education and continuing education/certification is a plus.
Applications are preferred by September 30, 2017 but will be accepted until the position is filled. All interested, qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter through our online application system via the following link: https://www.jobscore.com/jobs/tcf. Applications will only be accepted through the online application portal; we will not accept resumes by email.
For a complete profile of The Community Foundation and details on the position, please refer to the Careers section at www.thecommunityfoundation.net.
Should you have any questions about the application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
The Community Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Community Foundation complies with applicable California laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization provides services. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.